Categorized | Commentary

Google’s Top 100 Wine Blogs

We’ve come a long way since Jack Keller and Alder Yarrow introduced the beginning of wine blogging back in ’03 & ’04. Since then, the wine blogosphere has exploded and I’ve lost track of the number of blogs out there. Amazingly enough, using a key term “wine blog” on a search engine can return millions of hits! So how do you decide which ones you should visit?

There are a number of ranking systems out there (1) but I chose to use Google because they are really good at ranking sites and returning the most reputable and relevant content. If you doubt this method, check out their rigorous process on how they rank sites here – impressive stuff!

I created the “Google Top 100 Wine Blog” list by simply typing in a simple key term “wine blog” in the Google search engine. I then removed content that did not meet certain criteria, excluding blogs that haven’t been updated in over 3 months or websites that simply list other blogs. I also excluded blog directories, redirects, subsets or duplicates and blogs that heavily focus on content other than wine. There are a lot of blogs that call themselves a wine blog but focus more on things like travel, sports, etc., and I also excluded product type wine blogs (e.g. subzero refrigeration). (2)

Here is Google’s top 100 wine blog list for your reading enjoyment (3). The top five blogs may look familiar to you, but what’s great about this list and how it differs from others (1) is that you will find blogs you won’t find on any other list. This is clearly a ranking system that reduces bias and alienation, allowing readers to find great content. Based on Google’s rigorous indexing standards, blogs that rank near the top of this search result (this one resulted in more than 5 million hits) is commendable, and a congratulatory admiration is in order to those who made the list. Now seek out some of your newfound favorites and subscribe to their email newsletters and RSS feeds!

GOOGLE’S TOP 100 WINE BLOGS

Rank
Wine Blog
Vinography
Wine Library TV
Dr Vino
The Pour
Fermentation
Sharon’s Wine Blog
Winecast
Seattle Wine Blog
The Oregon Wine Blog
REthink Wine Blog
Professor Bainbridge
A food and wine blog – baltimore, md
Good Wine Under $20
mondosapore
Leelanau Peninsula wine blog
Napa Valley Winery Exchange :: Blog
Anything Wine
Cellar Rat
100 Joes’ Wine

(1) There are other existing lists that I recommend checking out as well, which include Local Wine Events blog list, Wikio, AlaWine, Alltop, Alexa, Vino PR. They all use different methods and techniques for generating lists, and I strongly recommend using more than one source to find all of the great wine blogs on the World Wide Web.

(2) I produced this search result mid-October, 2008. Keep in mind that Google results change daily. I recommend repeating the query often to find new blogs as they move up in Google rankings. Results also differ based on keyword selection, e.g. using the terms “wine blogs” or “winery blog” will produce different results.

(3) The above list is Google’s top 100 if you’re searching in the U.S. – searching from other countries will produce different results.

Editor and co-founder of Enobytes.com, Pamela is a former restaurant manager, wine buyer, and sommelier with WSET, CMS & Center for Wine Origins certification. She has contributed to or been quoted by various publications, including the Los Angeles Times, Sommelier Journal, Vegetarian Times, VIV Magazine, UC-Berkeley Astrobiology News, The Washington Post, the Associated Press, and USA Today. True to her roots, she seeks varietal and appellation integrity and is always passionate about finding the next great bottle of wine.

74 Responses to “Google’s Top 100 Wine Blogs”

1. Margot says:

Thank you so much for publishing this – I am delighted to see that Write for Wine made #24 on the list!
    Cheers,
    Margot@Write for Wine

2. Sonadora says:

I personally doubt the value of such lists.

I took a quick look at yours because I read and subscribe to over 100 wine blogs, which I read daily, and I know most of the blogs on your list. However, Basic Juice hasn’t had a post since Jan. 2008, The Boulder Wine Blog hasn’t updated in almost 5 months, Catherine Tillie hasn’t had a post since 2005, Purple Sunshine last posted in 2006, Vine Sugar in 2007…..

I understand the desire to create such lists, but I would hope that any would exclude such outdated material.

3. enobytes says:

Thanks for catching the outdated ones. I thought I caught them all but obviously not. I guess my eyes glazed over after looking at a couple hundred blogs :)

4. Alex says:

I’m with Sonadora … I’m really sceptical about the use of lists like this, especially when your results depend a lot on which google server you hit, your geographical location, and (in some cases) even if you’re logged into your google account or not.

I just searched wine blog on google and Jancis Robinson was 4 and Spittoon 5 and neither appear on your list …

5. Jo Diaz says:

Yeah, I get the glazed over thing, because http://www.wine-blog.org is #15 on Google, and was totally missed, with a name like wine-blog. (Perhaps, though, because I focus on wine personalities, wine practices, and wine events more than just their wines, I didn’t make the cut… Ah, but I DID make the “cut.”)

;^)

6. ryan says:

Yeah this list seems, odd, especially since we aren’t on it! :) We come up as one of the top wine blogs on every other list, so I guess we don’t write enough about “wine blogs” so our keyword density on that term is too small.

Oh well, we’ll go back to being Iberian wine bloggers.

7. Jo Diaz says:

As my husband just said to me, “If you think wine blogging is just done for oneself, and it isn’t done with numbers in mind… think again, as evidenced by lists, who appears and who doesn’t.” I can’t believe that http://www.catavino.net didn’t make it, but Sonadora’s list above shows older ones that have seemed to go away.

No good deed goes unpunished!

The intent was pure and solid, I’ll give you that, Guys.

8. matt.mmwine says:

Interesting list. I am fairly new to the wine blog world, and don’t yet have my credentials. Clearly I need to fix my key wording on my blog to add “Wine blog” so it gets picked up by google often enough ;)

9. enobytes says:

Alex, I am also curious why neither Jancis Robinson nor Spittoon (or Catavino!) show up on my list. I’ve tried searching without being signed into my Google account as well as signed in, and tried the same search on different computers and Jancis and Spitton show up on the fourth page (100 per page) every time. What city – country are you located?

10. enobytes says:

Thanks Jo, as with any list, it’s not perfect. The value of the list is to simply create visibility for a number of blogs that haven’t made other lists.

11. Gary says:

I would also like to protest the use of any list where my blog is not in the top ten. This aggression will not stand.

In all seriousness, Google’s rank is Google’s rank. Feel free to ignore it. People really hate blog lists for some reason.

12. Sonadora says:

Well, I don’t show up either. Actually, you can tab through 60+ pages of google results and I don’t show up. I rarely write the word “wine blog” and it’s not a top search term by any means that brings many people to my blog.

So I would gather that it would have something to do with the frequency with which you use that term, it’s searched for and leads to your blog, and the title of your blog. I don’t even use “wine blog” in my title!

13. Alex says:

I’m in the UK – Leeds, West Yorkshire to be exact – which means google defaults to .co.uk and then half the time I’m logged into my google account as well …

I’ve just been mucking around with trying the search based around different countries and the results vary widely (.com, .co.uk, .co.nz, .com.au and .ca). So it seems that not only do you get to produce the list but also list a whole pile of caveats about how you searched … I don’t know how you’d go about compiling a truly global list of “top 100″ wine blogs … I guess you just have to say that your list is google’s top 100 if you’re searching in the US …

14. enobytes says:

Sonadora – which probably explains why you are not on this list. I am certain we would find your blog using other keyword terms that were not part of this query!

15. enobytes says:

Alex, interesting indeed. I experimented with the UK Google search mechanism and indeed it produces different results. So I agree the above list is Google’s top 100 if you’re searching in the U.S.

16. satria says:

your posting is really informative, and that’s really usefull for me, actually I have the related blog like you, I hope you can check on http://www.winebarrels.blogspot.com, I hope it will be usefull for u.

17. Remy says:

You say, in a comment, that “The value of the list is to simply create visibility for a number of blogs that haven’t made other lists.”

I thought the point of a list would be to create an accurate ranking…

And also, if your list is accurate, wouldn’t the ones on it have received the most attention already?

I’m puzzled by all these listing efforts, whose accuracy seems doubtful at best. In one case, I was at the 56th rank one month, and then dropped off the list even though my readership grew 20% in two months (and others on the list had lower PageRanks AND traffic). We should all be blogging more instead…

18. Jo Diaz says:

Yes, we should, but we just can’t pull away from THIS one. I love it!

19. Thanks for mention of Vinfolio (#20) but the blog’s title is “The Wine Collector” and that is how it should be referenced.

20. Neil Dodds says:

Good to see Sharon Bowman’s blog up there, I’ve been a fan for ages.

21. Mike Duffy says:

Of course, I *much* prefer a Google Search for “winery blog”, where my list of winery blogs ranks in the top 5 (although it does include some abandoned blogs).

Google’s Page Rank algorithm, as good as it can be for some things, is still only an algorithm. As someone pointed out, without the words “wine blog”, you’re still lost in the haystack.

22. Justin Sanders says:

I like this list too. It seems to offer a more holistic picture than the other lists do and I have to say the Google results are probably better than those other lists. The local wine events list I think is voter based, so this seems like more of a popularity contest, and I’m not even sure why Wikio is listed because it seems to be more food focused than wine. Alawine is somewhat outdated, and Alltop seems somewhat selective, for what reason, I don’t know.

23. Joe Becerra says:

I like the ranking for the Napa Valley Wine Blog. I love doing this blog and it is nice to get a little notoriety once in a while.

24. fabio says:

Very interesting. It makes me think about this: it’s not useful to have lists like this. I mean, if we read the different lists (Google Top 100, Alawine, …) we will find some wine blogs in common, at least at the top. And this is already something to keep into consideration, according to me: if Vinography, Wine Library TV, Dr. Vino and others are always at the top there should be a reason! But, I have a question: which is the meaning of lists like these? There can be several reasons to have them: for advertising, for information, … Than, first we have to select our community of interest, than we can find the most interesting wine blogs within it and the most interesting can be the number 101, 102, 103, … It all depends. BTW, great post!

25. jon says:

amazing how many blogspot.com dominates the top 10. Do you not think the bias of Google towards their own site is a negative for this way of ranking blogs?

26. Jo Diaz says:

My wine blog is NOT a Google blog, and I consistently rank between number 10 to 15, depending on how many blogs I post a week. (I’m not on this list above, because at the time the list was created, my blog had been compromised by a third party who had dumped spam onto my unprotected index page. I changed servers, and I came right back to my usual standing. Google is very protective, and I can’t blame them.)

My husband’s a Webmaster, so he knows intimately how this all works. He explains to our clients that it has to do with how relevant a website is; i.e., content rich, knowledgeable, and frequency of postings are some of the most important reasons that blogs rise to the top of the charts.

On Yahoo, my blog is on their first page. On MSN, I have the first and second positions. On Ask, first there are sponsored results in a shaded box, then blogs. Mine is the number two wine blog listed.

I’m a wine professional, I tend to rave not rant (who really likes it cranky all the time?), so I have a genuine journal that’s about really personal experiences within the wine world. (I’m also a published writer… not bragging here, just giving you the details of all the hard work it’s taken to get to being a higher ranking blog.)

The listings are about true relevance, and being a professional really helps. I know things no one else knows outside of this business, so what I blog about is more revealing and educational.

Someone out there is also making the listing decisions – as I’ve demonstrated above. There’s real diversity when you search on “wine blog” what gets positioned where. My 15 years in the business is probably not going to be eclipsed by someone who’s just beginning the journey, when dues else where’s been paid, and what’s written is coming form someone better informed.

Last night, I had dinner with Louis and Helaine Foppiano, Jim and John Concannon, Robert Biale and his other partners (whose names you wouldn’t recognize, but will end up in my blog), Van & Better Ballentine, Fulton Mather (of David Fulton), Kent Rosenblum, Dan Teldeschi, Patty Bogle… my list goes on, because it was the annual meeting of the Petite Sirah advocacy group for which I founded and am the executive director. This – over someone talking about friends who came over and a bottle of Stags’ Leap was opened is more relevant to naming names, and revealing a journal entry from someone seasoned.

You’ll all get there in varying degrees, and your listings will reflect your eventual professional levels.

;^)

I have great hope for all of you that have the same passion I have. Enjoy your writings and stick with it. Cream rises to the top, is what my grandmother used to tell me. Now, I’m a grandmother.

27. enobytes says:

Jon, I’m curious, which of the top 10 are using blogspot.com? I don’t see them.

FYI – some of you may not have seen the conversation I carried over at Jo’s blog questioning why her blog was missing in action from my list. After a little investigation, we figured out Jo’s site had been compromised (as she stated above) and Google dropped her index page about the time I was building this list. It’s fixed now, and her blog has been showing up in the top 10-15 on a regular basis – go Jo! :)

28. enobytes says:

Just found them #6, 8, 9, but the majority are not using blogspot.

29. Justin Sanders says:

Oh my goodness, will you people stop already? I can’t believe how many of you are anti list simply because you didn’t make the cut. Stop crying and go do something useful like blog or something!

30. Jo Diaz says:

I think that’s what this stream is all about… We’re blogging about someone else’s posting with subsequent opinions, thoughts, and wonderings. This is what blogging allows… social dialogues. And, this seems in keeping with what it’s all about. Correct me if I’m wrong.

Also, it’s a stream that’s trying to understand how these lists all works, because not everyone has all the answers. I’ve learned a few things with this stream, and I’m thinking others have too.

Did you ever get hooked into alt.food.wine, Justin? The same sort of back-and-forth, sharing of info, etc. went on in those days, too.

Is alt.food.wine still relevant? Obviously this posting still is, or it would have gone away by now.

31. Justin Sanders says:

The dialog is great, I’m only calling out the people that are questioning the value of this list, if you notice the people who don’t make the list hate it and want to put a twist on why it has no meaning ior value. I actually found a couple fo blogs I wasn’t aware of that I really dig, so that’s cool – it has meaning. alt.food.wine? Nope, never heard of it but I’ll check it out.

32. Jo Diaz says:

Lists have existed at least since the 10 Commandments, I’m thinking… A bit too written in stone for me, but they still do exist for some.

Yes, some of the above people are disappointed, and by voicing it they may now be closer to understanding why. It’s really hard to take the whining, I know. I used to tell my kids to go to their rooms and not come out until they had smiles on their faces… a line handed down by my mother!

Meanwhile, the value of the list was to give you, Justin, a few more choices, and that’s fun.

alt.food.wine was great for me, until I realized how my road rage there was on the Internet’s super highway. There was no identity of people at all, and the rudeness created that sandbox was no longer interesting. This is why I decided to park my virtual car.

Then blogging came along, and although you can’t always figure out who’s behind the blog, it’s a more civilized communication tool… And, people are wanting to establish their own credibility.

33. Jo Diaz says:

And interesting…

34. Justin Sanders says:

I don’t know how much more descriptive the author needs to go about how they created this list. There is a link up there that links to Google’s page which describes how the search engine works and goes into detailed info on what results make it to the top and how they crawl, index and rank sites. And on top of that the author describes the method they used to remove things like directories and redirects – how much more could one explain how they came up with the results? And it also states above “list is Google’s top 100 if you’re searching in the U.S.” I don’t see this misleading at all

35. Alex says:

Justin & Jo – criticising a methodology does not necessarily spring from sour grapes. The article is titled “Google’s Top 100 Wine Blogs” without qualifying how the list has been drawn up and without a solid explanation of how the google search engine works.

The fact is that this is, necessarily, a US centric list of blogs, as the original googler was based in the States. Geographical location and whether or not you’re logged into your google account can have a dramatic effect on search results. This is not made clear by the original article, which instead is written as though it’s presenting a definitive list of blogs as seen by google.

The web, by definition, is worldwide. A .org domain name is not geographically restricted. Therefore, it makes sense to explain the context in which the list has been drawn up. Anyone, anywhere, could read this list and assume that google would throw up the same results in their locale.

Personally, I’ve got no gripe with not being on the list (I’m not in the US and now we’ve established the searching parameters it’s pretty obvious that if Jancis isn’t here I’m not going to be!) but I dislike lists that attempt to be definitive without a full explanation of how they’ve been put together. Without that, it can actually be very misleading. A list of “10 Wine Blogs You Might Not Know About”, while blatantly subjective, is really a lot more honest.

36. Well I feel better. I used to post nearly every day and now that I have a wife and baby it’s lucky if its once a month. My daughter is using the potty now so late night diapers are a thing of the past and I can pour a glass and get back to writing. I just wish wineries would stop by $5,000 full page magazine ads and buy ten years of banner ads on my site for the same price.
    See You at the 2009 NAPLES WINTER WINE FESTIVAL!!

37. Brian says:

What, no Idaho blogs? Glad to see a few of my favorites made the list.

38. LP Wines says:

Hey cool! Happy to make this list and represent for Michigan!

39. Travis says:

Sokol Blosser (#22) is a great wine blog! Fun and very educational content about the winery’s employees and product.

40. My writers in Oregon love Sokol Blosser! Now if they would just put down the glass and get back to writing..

41. mr wino says:

what a great list of blogs, all noteworthy

42. wine blog says:

My blog is on the second page of google’s result’s for the term “wine blog”. Time to do an updated list!

43. Jo says:

Mine’s on the first page (and never made it to this list), but what the heck… I’m betting all the work was done pro bono by Enobytes to create the list in the first place.

I think we all should just do our own lists on our own sites. ;^)

Honestly, if I want to know who’s on first and what’s on second, I just go to Google and search on “wine blog.” There’s the real up-to-the-minute list.

44. Andrew Glazier says:

Damn, I need a drink.

45. Jo says:

And, I’m coming along for the ride!

46. Roger says:

I’m fond of #16, the Wine Economics blog, but then again, I’m an economics freak.

47. Superb idea publishing this list. Thanks a million. Bon chance. Pip pip.

48. Paul says:

Just found this….cool that our site is #39. Thanks!

49. Paul Nube says:

Guys I just went to a new website called pardonthatyvine.com. It is very similar to vaynerchuck’s site without the annoying aspect. check it out. Seems like a very knowledgeable guy.

50. Frank M. Durham says:

How do I attach enobytes to my homepage to review daily?

Frank Durham

fmdwartsnall@gmail.com

51. enobytes says:

Hi Frank, you can subscribe to the feeds from here: http://enobytes.org/wine_blog/feed/

52. Thanks for the list. I wonder why I’m not on it … :-)

53. J R W says:

I think your list is missing some wine blogs, may its time to update?

54. enobytes says:

Indeed! This list was created over a year ago and this sort of information tends to get out of date quickly as blogs come and go. For the latest list, check out the Google search engine with the keyword “wine blog” http://tinyurl.com/yzvzo5t

~Pamela

55. I’m still fairly new to wine blogging but I’m getting there, and hope to hit the top 100 list one day. Check my blog at http://www.ledomduvin.com and let me know what you think. Thanks and thank you for the above list, although not 100% accurate it is still very informative. Cheers and, wine bloggers, keep up wine blogging! LeDom du Vin

56. enobytes says:

Good luck Dominique and thanks for dropping by!

57. Awesome says:

Hi,

What a awesome list. I am always on the look for top lists, and your list is great starting point. Lists are very useful.

I visited your blog from yahoo. Really cool entry.

Will visit again.
    Thanks

58. Good effort. Interesting, list, time to work on my SEO optimization; # of friends blogs on here I know get less traffic, but are showing up.. back to work!

59. enobytes says:

Hi William. Keep in mind that this list is ~way~ out of date. It was built a couple of years ago and a lot has changed since then! BTW, love your Simple Hedonisms blog… ~Pamela

60. Jan Mabuse says:

Indeed a great article. By the way I have a business & want gift Wine clubs membership to my clients. One of my friends suggested Celebration Wine Club in California .He said it is one of the best wine clubs. They deliver gift in quite good manner. They wrap, pack, and ship outstanding wines beautifully without extra cost, and they enclose a card with personal message. I think it is the best idea, what do you guys say about them?

1. [...] recently compiled a list of “Google’s Top 100 Wine Blogs” and our humble blog made it on the list at #77!  We’re pretty excited about this, [...]

2. Dragon Phoenix Wine Blog » DP Wine Blog in Enobyte’s Top 100 Google Wine Blog list: says:

[...] recently received a congratulary email from Pamela Heiligenthal of Enobytes who has compiled a Top 100 list of wine blogs via Google indexing and some enterprising research of her [...]

3. I’ve Been Tagged! | Enobytes Wine Blog says:

[...] Stoney Creek Wine Press. He wanted to get me something nice to reward me for the work I did on the Google Top 100 Wine Blog post, but instead of sending me a bottle of ‘00 Chateau Margaux, he ‘tagged’ me. [...]

4. Google’s Top 100 Wine Blogs | HaKerem: The Israeli Wine Blog says:

[...] to the wine site enobytes.com, HaKerem: The Israeli Wine Blog is one of the top 100 Google wine [...]

5. [...] then, what inspired this post, there’s what Pamela did about a month and a half ago over at Enobytes.  She Googled “wine blogs” and then weeded out the results that were commercial sites, [...]

6. The Oregon Wine Blog got a hold of us! | winegirlblogs says:

[...] Gosh I was certainly nervous to meet with Clive, but most anything over good food is easy, so off I left to meet him one grey and rainy Seattle day. Guanacos is small, so it was hard to miss Clive seated in the center of it all perusing the menu, and I remember he said he’d recognize me either wearing a barrel or with a broken pair of sunglasses. Good one on him for doing his homework. I chuckled and was at ease. He then offered me the royal treatment and a true Pupusas experience, which was sincerely a treat when on a student budget. Let’s hope writers get to expense lunches at The Oregon Wine Blog especially when they are ranked 9th in Google’s Top 100 Wine Blogs. [...]

7. [...] wine blogs. A couple of lists are available that show you the wine blogs with the best SEO, traffic or both and this does make their reviews float toward the top of search. But it doesn’t change the [...]

8. [...] Stoney Creek Wine Press. He wanted to get me something nice to reward me for the work I did on the Google Top 100 Wine Blog post, but instead of sending me a bottle of ’00 Chateau Margaux, he ‘tagged’ me. [...]

9. [...] Weekend Event Listings in South of Market – March 2nd, 2012Is Christina Aguilera Losing WeightCosa vi aspettate dal ritorno di Christina AguileraBeauty Buzz: Christina Aguilera Pokes Fun at Adam Levine For Contradictory Fragrance Tweet!Google’s Top 100 Wine Blogs [...]

10. [...] See the Top 100 list and Pamela Heiligenthal’s full report: http://enobytes.com/2008/10/31/googles-top-100-wine-blogs/ [...]