Wine Chemistry with Clark Smith

Wine Chemistry with Clark Smith

Wine chemistry might be a scary subject for some, but if you want to get your feet wet without committing to a full semester of madness, now is your chance. Clark Smith, who has taught the popular short course  Fundamentals of Wine Chemistry at U.C. Davis for a number of years is offering a similar two-day interactive winemaking theory class in Santa Rosa. No formal knowledge of chemistry is required and its perfect training for apprentices or wine pros looking to enhance their proficiency.

On the first day, Clark will cover the basics about acids (pH vs. TA: an introduction to chemical equilibrium), sulfur dioxide in wine (a case study in wine chemistry), crush chemistry techniques, fining, and spoilage treatment choices.

On the second day, he delves into phenolic structures and reductive properties, explores vine balance, ripeness, fermentation strategies, oxygenation, uses of oak, microbial stabilization strategies, and fine-tuning for soulfulness and graceful longevity.

Clark teaches this class in an interactive format and explores real world dilemmas. I’d highly recommend this course for consumers and professionals alike yearning to delve a little deeper into the wine world.

Check out the full description of the course. To request more information about Wine Chemistry with Clark Smith, email Winemaking 411, or call The Orchard at (707) 542-7745.

Cost:
$350

Where:
The Orchard
Santa Rosa, CA 95404

When:
March 26-27, 2011
9:00 AM to 5:00 PM PDT
Add to my calendar

2016-01-23T17:03:55+00:00

About the Author:

Editor and co-founder of Enobytes.com, Pamela is a sommelier and former restaurant manager and wine buyer with Wine & Spirit Education Trust (WSET), Court of Master Sommeliers & Center for Wine Origins certification. She has contributed to or been quoted by various publications, including the Los Angeles Times, Sommelier Journal, Vegetarian Times, VIV Magazine, UC-Berkeley Astrobiology News, The Washington Post, the Associated Press, NPR and USA Today. True to her roots, she seeks varietal and appellation integrity and is always passionate about finding the next great bottle of wine.

14 Comments

1. Laurie March 16, 2011 at 10:32 AM - Reply

I’m wondering if Clark would consider taking this class on the road?

• Clark Smith September 16, 2011 at 11:40 AM - Reply

Laurie,

Absolutely. I like to tailor the class for the region I’m teaching in – more Pinot discussion in Oregon, more acidity adjustment in Iowa, for example.

Email me at clark@winemaking411.com and we can discuss possibilities to accomodate your interest.

(Pam please forward)

Clark

• enobytes September 16, 2011 at 12:36 PM - Reply

Done!!

2. Travis M March 16, 2011 at 10:50 AM - Reply

Sounds like a great class, however, living in a different state will make it difficult to attend. I’m certain those who attend will enjoy the class as I’ve enjoyed Clark’s writing on various winemaking topics.

• Clark Smith September 16, 2011 at 11:37 AM - Reply

Travis,

Which state are you in? I frequently do the class in other regions, adapted to local conditions.

Give me a holler and we’ll chat.

(Pam please forward)

Clark

• enobytes September 16, 2011 at 12:36 PM - Reply

Will do Clark.

3. enobytes March 16, 2011 at 9:09 PM - Reply

Good question, Travis & Laurie. Clark? :)

4. Hal March 21, 2011 at 8:41 PM - Reply

I’m chemistry challenged! But the class sounds interesting. I have friends in the Bay area so I’ll forward the information.

• enobytes March 21, 2011 at 8:49 PM - Reply

Indeed it sounds like a great class!

• Clark Smith September 16, 2011 at 11:35 AM - Reply

Hal,

Only just now saw your comment. We’ll have another class in February of 2012. Send me your email to clark@winemaking411.com and I’ll put you on the mailing list.

Clark

5. Bob Bennett September 15, 2011 at 4:11 PM - Reply

Trying to get hold of Clark Smith. Want him for a speaking engagement here in Sonoma County.
    Please forward.
    email, or 433-4574

• enobytes September 15, 2011 at 6:44 PM - Reply

Bob, I will forward the information to Clark.

• Clark Smith September 16, 2011 at 11:34 AM - Reply

Bob,

I’m in Eastern Europe for a week, but have email. What do you have in mind?

Clark
      clark@winemaking411.com

6. […] takes innovation to the next level of awesomeness in the wine biz. From Postmodern Winemaking to Wine Chemistry,  Hi-Tech Winemaking to enhancing the flavors of Cabernet through music (think Jimi Hendrix!) […]