Categorized | Wine Maps

Wine Maps: Paso Robles – California

This map depicts wineries and tasting rooms within the Paso Robles region of California. It is one of many maps generated to support the “Wine Regions of the World” series.

The Paso Robles American Viticultural Appellation (AVA) is home to more than 180 wineries and 26,000 vineyard acres focusing on premium wine production. The region, located halfway between Los Angeles and San Francisco was named for its local oak trees, El Paso de Robles, “The Pass of the Oaks.” The region provides distinct microclimates and diverse soils, combined with warm days and cool nights providing ideal growing conditions for producing 40+ wine varietals from Cabernet Sauvignon and Merlot, to Syrah and Petite Sirah, Viognier and Roussanne, to Zinfandel, the area’s heritage wine variety.

During the early years, wine grape growing was introduced by the Franciscan Friars beginning circa 1790 at the Asistencia located on the Santa Margarita Ranch, an assistant chapel to Mission San Luis Obispo that still stands preserved today, and at Mission San Miguel, founded in 1797 by Father Lasuen, who succeeded Father Serra (1713-1784) as Presidente of the missions.

View wine_regions_california_paso_robles in a larger map

This map is also available via Google Earth! CLICK HERE to view the interactive Paso Robles map. If you don’t have Google Earth, download the latest version by clicking on the green download button below. What is Google Earth? Google Earth combines the power of Google Search with satellite imagery, maps, terrain and 3D buildings to put the world’s geographic information at your fingertips.

Google Earth Google Earth Download

In the 1920s, flurries of activity lead immigrants to establish family vineyards and wineries. Zinfandel had a strong influence on the early growth and development of the wine industry and it remains a key wine varietal for many wineries in the Paso Robles region. In the 60s and 70s, Dr. Stanley Hoffman, under the guidance of U.C. Davis and legendary enologist André Tchelistcheff planted some of the regions first Cabernet Sauvignon, Pinot Noir and Chardonnay.

In the late 80s and early 90s, the Perrin family of the Rhône Valley’s Chateau de Beaucastel and their American importer Robert Haas established an international joint venture, Tablas Creek Vineyard. With 80 acres planted to the traditional varieties of Chateauneuf-du- Pape, Tablas Creek imported exclusive clonal material from the Rhône Valley and made the clones available to other interested growers around the state. Since 1989, Paso Robles has seen an explosion of plantings of Rhône varieties.

For more information on Paso Robles wine history, check out the Paso Robles Wine site.

Photo credit: Mappery.com

Looking for more wine maps? Check out the full list here.

Editor and co-founder of Enobytes.com, Pamela is a former restaurant manager, wine buyer, and sommelier with WSET, CMS & Center for Wine Origins certification. She has contributed to or been quoted by various publications, including the Los Angeles Times, Sommelier Journal, Vegetarian Times, VIV Magazine, UC-Berkeley Astrobiology News, The Washington Post, the Associated Press, and USA Today. True to her roots, she seeks varietal and appellation integrity and is always passionate about finding the next great bottle of wine.

28 Responses to “Wine Maps: Paso Robles – California”

1. William H says:

I love this wine map series. It must take a considerable amount of time to produce, so thanks for all your hard work. Will you be making one for the Tuscany region?

2. RandyRoll says:

Love the wine map. I’ve found others but the google earth version makes it easy to fly over the location and find things like accomodations, food, etc. Cheers!

• enobytes says:

Glad you’re enjoying them Randy! Are there any particular regions you’d like to see us focus on for the next one?

3. ONX Wine says:

Love the maps but can’t open the first one large enough to see if we are on it.

• enobytes says:

I don’t believe we have you on the map ONX – what’s the address you would like us to use? I’ll get it added pronto!

4. Jose Martinez says:

I’m embarrassed to say I didn’t know where this region was until I read this! Good stuff.

5. Dominic says:

I haven’t been to the Paso region for years! I’m curious if it has changed much. I used to visit the area when I lived in LA and drove to SF to visit a friend. I live on the East coast now but plan on taking a trip back west soon. Thanks for the map.

• enobytes says:

Its interesting you ask this question Dominic, because Marc and I use to live in Paso and moved away back in the 90s and have wondered the same. I hope to visit the area next year. Let us know what it is like if you make it there before us!!

6. Liz Martins says:

I saw this map and started thinking about my trip to Paso Robles next year. Thanks for the information and the great interactive maps. Appreciate it.

7. Jasmine Morgan says:

Lovely little map, thanks!

8. Harvey says:

Impressive website, I especially enjoyed the Paso Robles wine map. Cheers!

9. M. Picker says:

I just wanted to post a quick note so as to thank you for those wonderful pointers and posts you are giving on this website.

10. Gregf says:

It was great to finally meet you guys the other day! And yes, I finally had an opportunity to check out your wine maps and they do rock.

11. Giovanni says:

I saw this map and had to check it out. I don’t know about you but it was disappointing to find out that the wine bloggers conference wasn’t in the running for 2012.

12. OakleyM says:

I really enjoy how you’ve worded your substance in this particular guide. I am incredibly impressed with this info and you’ve managed to keep it exciting.

13. Andy Frick says:

I am visiting soon so this information will come in handy, appreciate it.

14. Kimmy says:

I appreciate the map. I haven’t been to Paso Robles but I’m planning a vacation to the area next year. Thanks for the map! Have a nice day.

• enobytes says:

Using the google earth version is really cool because you can turn on various layers to find restaurants, hotels, shopping, etc, even weather! I hope you find it useful Kimmy!

15. zobacz says:

Hello there, You have done a great job. I will certainly digg it and personally suggest to my friends. I am confident they’ll be benefited from this site.