Categorized | Education, Food & Wine, News

A Documentary Worth Seeing: SOMM

I’m stoked to tell you about a new documentary in work called SOMM. It’s a story of four sommeliers attempting to pass the Master Sommelier exam, a test with one of the lowest pass rates in the world. The exam covers literally anything having to do with the entire world of wine and that is just the beginning. Access to the Court Of Master Sommeliers has always been strictly regulated and cameras have never been allowed anywhere near the exam…. Until now.

The film took two years and six countries of filming to produce under the direction of Jason Wise, known to film a wide variety of subject matters which deliver distinctly human stories. Jason has logged many hours shooting aerial photography for major networks and TV programs including the popular Emmy Awards, as well as hundreds of hours shooting underwater footage.

Jason expects SOMM to premiere in April, but there is a very good chance screenings will happen earlier. Let’s hope this film makes it to nationwide theaters! I, for one, can’t wait to see it.

Runtime: 1 hour, 40 minutes
Country of Origin: United States
Language: English, French, Italian, German

Photo credit: http://www.jbwpro.com

This post was written by the Enobytes staff. Our mission is to promote an exchange of ideas that benefit professionals and enthusiasts alike. We consider our publication an alternative source to mainstream wine periodicals with an emphasis on bridging the gap between consumers and wine industry professionals. Eat Well. Drink Well. Live Well!

16 Responses to “A Documentary Worth Seeing: SOMM”

1. Jack says:

I can’t wait to see it!

2. ficklefreek says:

I live in a remote location so I doubt it will be coming to a theater near me. But hey, it sounds like a good opportunity to take a road trip to SF where I am sure they will show it.

3. NubianOR says:

This is without a doubt reality movie/tv I can’t wait to see. Was on the edge of my seat just watching the clip. Such talent and dedication. Makes me smile when I think of my wine tasting abilities! If it’s red it must have berry aroma somewhere right? ;~)

4. ross mckay says:

can’t wait

5. Brian Allman says:

This sounds particularly interesting, it’s a world I know nothing about. Thanks for the heads up, I look forward to it…

6. Ken W. says:

Total awesomeness!

7. Jessie says:

I hope this movie makes its way to Chicago.

8. sonia says:

I don’t remember Ian being as unattractive as he looks in this movie. i remember him being much better looking. I can’t believe I actually gave him the time of day. I must have been REALLY desperate. He strikes me as kind of nerdy. Maybe he always was. That would explain a lot.

1. […] having to keep up with all of these rules! Dang!  Which reminds me, have you heard of the new documentary coming out this year, called SOMM? Keep an eye out for it! […]

2. […] the grueling sniffing-tasting-studying regimen required to earn the Master Sommelier Diploma. Now critics are drinking it up and SOMM will open the Napa Valley Film […]