A History of Pacific Northwest Cuisine:
Mastodons to Molecular Gastronomy
by Marc Hinton & Pamela Heiligenthal
Pacific Northwest Cuisine will make a great read for foodies, culinarians, enophiles and anyone else seeking to learn how the Pacific Northwest became the hottest food and wine scene in the world
With a dash of humor and a sprinkling of recipes, culinarian Marc Hinton chronicles the bounty of the Pacific Northwest from the mastodon meals of the earliest inhabitants to the gastronomic revolution of today.
In this lively narrative, learn how Oregon’s and Washington’s chefs have used the region’s natural abundance to create cuisine that is stylish yet simple and how winemakers and brewers have crafted their own rich beverage traditions. From potlatches to Prohibition, seafood to sustainability and Lewis and Clark to James Beard, Hinton traces the events and influences that have shaped the Pacific Northwest’s edible past and created a delectable fare that has foodies and enophiles from around the world clamoring for a taste. This book will make a great read for foodies, culinarians, enophiles and anyone else seeking to learn how the Pacific Northwest became the hottest food and wine scene in the world.
The book was released on October 26, 2013. You should be able to buy this edition at your local bookstore of choice in the U.S., worldwide and online from a variety of booksellers:
ECampus | FishPond NZ | Amazon UK | The Nike AU | Rakuten
Currently, we are signing books at Barnes & Noble and other local book stores in Portland, Seattle, San Francisco and Boston. If you want a signed copy and you can’t make a signing event, we can ship you a signed copy. See below for instructions on how to order a signed book.
Is the book tour not coming to your town? Signed copies are available to order directly through us. When you order, you will have the option of requesting a word-for-word personalized inscription when we sign your book. Send us an email for ordering instructions.
Just a few months out of the gate and the press is already talking about this book!
- Listed on the “Best Selling Northwest Cookbooks“
- “…the pace of the book moves fast and the story is compelling and engaging…I could not put it down.” ~ Barnes & Noble customer review
- Listed on the “New books by Seattle-area authors” “…Wine writer Hinton traces the influences that have shaped the cuisine of the Pacific Northwest. ~ Seattle Times
- “…I love this book ! The history is well documented and the photos are great. Marc’s storytelling is definitely humorous but just as informative. I would recommend this book.” ~ Amazon wine review
- “I bought this book for my daughter, which is in culinary school. Before wrapping it up as a gift, I started reading it and I could not put it down. The synopsis is spot on as the author is quite humorous.” ~ Barnes and Noble reader review
- “I enjoyed the author’s witty and lighthearted humor that covers the culinary and wine scenes of the Pacific Northwest. Refreshing read for a history book, which covers 13,000 years in a matter of 200+ pages.” ~ Good Reads reader review
- “If you are a foodie or a student of Pacific Northwest History, this is a good read and timeline of events. Reading this book will bring into light why this area is so dependent and blessed to have the great agricultural movement it does. Hopefully, it will ignite the reader to continue that cause.” ~Powell’s reader review
We can’t give you the details of our newest venture, which is tentatively scheduled for release in the Fall of 2015, but it will of course be wine and food related…and sure to be awesome! Check back often for information!